SIWES stands for Student Industrial Work Experience Scheme. It is also called Industrial Training (IT).
SIWES can be done in industries, companies, workshops, business centre, construction site, College’s Production Unit, etc.
It is 5% work load of all students undergoing 3-year Program at Technical Colleges whose courses are accredited by NBTE, Kaduna.
SIWES for all the NTC 1 students of the College will begin on Monday 5th August 2019. The training will last for six (6) weeks.
SIWES is mandatory for every student in our Technical department.
Every student should use fill the log book during the training.
A letter for the SIWES will be issued to every student and he will present it to the person in charge of the place he will undergo the training.
BENEFITS OF SIWES
- Acquisition of requisite skills and competencies.
- Opportunity for students to blend theoretical knowledge acquired in the classroom with practical hands-on application of knowledge required to work in an industry.
- Exposure of students to the environment in which they will eventually work.
- Enabling the students appreciate work methods and gain experience in handling equipment and machinery which may not be available in their institutions.
- Enabling students to contribute to the productivity of their employers and national development immediately after graduation.
- Provision of an enabling environment where students can develop and enhance personal attributes such as critical thinking, creativity, initiative, resourcefulness, leadership, time management, presentation skills and interpersonal skills, etc.
- Preparing students for employment and making the transition from school to the world of work easier after graduation.
- Enhancing students’ contacts with potential employers while on training.
“I failed in some subjects in exam, but my friend passed in all. Now he is an engineer in Microsoft and I am the owner of Microsoft.
Believe in yourself and don’t let self-doubt hunt you down. You all know of that inner voice that taunts whenever you are about to achieve your goals and whenever life gets difficult, “you will never succeed. You can’t do it. So and so has failed who are you to succeed.” However, with knowledge and the correct talents, you can use this self-doubt to your advantage. Just work hard, believe in yourself and don’t do something because others are doing it.”